Get everything to configure the ultimate Google Analytics for Shopify in this splendid tutorial. Digital Marketing Evangelist for Google and author of Web Analytics 2.0 Avinash Kaushik has called this the “great, detailed, guide on how to set up and get value [in Shopify]”.
A lot of Shopify stores have bad data and no idea how to use their analytics program. Once you complete the guide, you will change how you market your store forever as you finally make intelligent use of analytics to grow your store.
Reports and analysis are difficult or inaccurate without clean data. A worker in an offline store has the benefit of talking with customers whereas you may never talk with someone who purchased from your Shopify store. The right Google Analytics setup tells you more about your customers than you could otherwise know.
Grab a fine cup of tea with a scone, find your monocle, and we shall explore the wonders together. If it is too much for you to handle, see the last section and I can do it. It’s worth the investment. Founder of market research giant ACNielsen, Arthur Nielsen, said, “The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
My client checklist for the perfect Google Analytics setup with Shopify is:
The Google Analytics for Shopify Checklist by Digital Darts
1. Follow Google Analytics Best Practices: Simple things everyone should do.
2. Setup Standard Google Analytics: Collect all the standard Analytics information correctly from your Shopify like where your users visit the store, what pages are most viewed, and what are your slow pages.
3. Setup Enhanced Ecommerce: Understand visitor interaction with products over their whole shopping experience.
4. Create Content Groups: Setup groups of content to understand the purpose and performance of the various types of content on your store. Stop clustering your whole store together into one analysis.
5. Track Cross-Domains: Gather accurate data from other domains or sub-domains like a WordPress blog without messing the data.
6. Track Internal Search: Learn what people want from your store. Searchers are buyers.
7. Track Demographics: Know your most profitable audiences.
8. Funnels and Goals: See where users drop-off along the checkout process.
9. Use Enhanced Link Attribution: Better understand user behaviour on pages to help increase conversions.
10. Fix Spam Hits: Make your analytics more accurate. Protect yourself from bots and competitors.
11. Track Logged In Users: See how high-value users logged in to your store interact with it across multiple browsers and devices over their lifetime.
12. Identify Organic Search Keywords: Discover organic keyword rankings in Google including clicks, ranking improvements from SEO, and growth opportunities.
13. Track Every Campaign: Know the exact visitors and sales from specific tweets, emails, and any promotional material.
14. Get Custom Alerts: Be notified of any major behavioral changes on your store – from mentions on another website and products that have gone viral on Facebook, to revenue changes or spikes in traffic.
15. Report and Analyze: Don’t stop after collection, it’s time to report and analyze the splendid data you collected.
16. Review the Results and How to Get Help: What to look for and how to solve problems. I can do it all for you.
1. Follow Google Analytics Best Practices
Best practices get you rigorous and understandable data. It is a short list of the most important ones you need to be concerned about for your Shopify store to make analytics simple to manage and accurate.